Monday 16 September 2013

Sunflowers

I decided to tat a sunflower, and then thought it would look good as a necklace and this is the result.


I used a button as the centre and added some square beads. It lies really well around the neck as the button gives it some weight, in fact I wore it today at work.  The yellow is not as bright as I would really like, but I don't have such a vibrant shade, just pale or variegated yellows. 

My first attempt looked like this and I am attaching it to this little bag as it is far from perfect.


At the moment there are a lot of sunflowers about and you can buy them as cut flowers,  a bunch of them can look stunning.

This year I grew a few in my garden and this one is over 7 ft tall, I had to bend it over to  take the photograph!   Can you see the insect on it?


I am now thinking of making a Michaelmas daisy using the same idea. 

20 comments:

  1. Ooo - this makes a pretty summer necklace!

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crazy Mum, Summer has gone here but it is brightening up the days!

      Delete
  2. Your sunflower necklace looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frivole, the design needs a little more tweaking but I intend to make more!

      Delete
  3. Sunflowers! - my mother used to eat the seeds, and they make wonderful oil.
    Yours is lovely, on the bag - it's very effective. Looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I buy the seeds and eat them yes and use the oil for cooking! Very versitile plant.
      Thanks for the compliment, but close up there are mistakes!

      Delete
  4. Oh this necklace is beautiful, what talent and I like the weight thing, sometime the tatting can be to light and spin around because the clasp is heavy. I so want to make that! love the leaves too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madtatter, the button really does make a difference to the way the necklace hangs - I feel a flower addiction coming on!

      Delete
    2. Yea you could do different sizes and colors and were it for thanksgiving! ( A holiday that get pass by too quickly) Or I could :)

      Delete
  5. Sunflower is my favourite flower. You tatted it so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to show off a beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jane, it is amazing what you can do with a few knots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sunflower necklace is awesome!! :) And the one on the bag looks nice too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Gods kid, hopefully I will be able to tat another flower soon, time permitting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sunflowers, this is a lovely design, beads and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like sunflowers especially as you gave me a tatted one on a paper clip when I met you in Singapore.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful sunflower! I love the way the button and beads create the perfect center, and add the weight. And the yellow beads form the perfect petal points! A great design! Your first attempt also looks good! The chain is perfect, too!

    I saw an entire field of sunflowers and was amazed how they followed the sun during the day, all facing the same direction!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kathy, sunflowers just make me want to smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun! Those sunflowers all look great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment