Wednesday 23 April 2014

450 years since the birth of William Shakespeare

That is what today marks, and as a Stratfordian it is a time to celebrate as I am sure they will be doing where my sister lives in the bard's home town.    

Hamlet - Act 1 Scene 1 "Not a mouse stirring"



This is Wanda's Morgan mouse and for the middle I covered a very small plastic ring thank you Wanda for a great pattern.  But look at these cheerful mice made by Carollyn, aren't they great?

On this momentous day come back with me 50 years when to mark 400 years since Shakespeare's birth we were given one of these books.  I am afraid mine has travelled a bit and is rather worse for wear!



And if we go back 46 years this is my mum (and of course Jane's mum!) taking part in the annual birthday celebrations 


She is the one wearing the pink hat and you can see her first helping the representative from New South Wales unfurl the flag and then walking in the procession.  Notice the fellow on her right with a posy, he looks very uncomfortable holding it!  They are on the way to the church to place the tributes by Shakespeare's grave.


Sorry about the quality of the photographs but they have been taken from transparencies.


HAPPY 450TH BIRTHDAY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

12 comments:

  1. What a striking hat your mum was wearing! A very elegant lady! I also love Morgan Mouse in his natural colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making that mouse. What an awesome idea of covering the ring!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. :) Love the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dreadful hat mum's wearing!!!! I hadn't seen the procession one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jane, but don't you remember she used to make hats!

      Delete
  5. Wow this was a very informative blog and who doesn't love Shakespeare's writtings, what fun and I am sooo going to use a ring for my next mouse! I love yours and I need to get the grey color tatting thread too! Also thank you for mentioning Morgan Mouse I forgot to do that on my blog! great post hugs from Carollyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hat! Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! Looks like a festive occasion! I'm looking more at the length of the skirts. That would have been 1968(?), and I remember that the 'shorter' skirts were 'begrudgingly' being accepted.at the law office where I worked as a secretary. I was only 24 then (same age as Jane!), and I was nervous about wearing these 'shorter' styles, mid-knee or slightly above. So your mum looks quite youthful and 'with the times' if she was in her early 40s! As for hats, you should see the 'lampshade' hat I wore proudly at Easter around 1966!

    Since the United States was basically still a wilderness 450 years ago, it's difficult for us to imagine the kind of history and old structures you have in England! I enjoyed your post about the fantastic Winchester Cathedral and read more about it. And it's amazing that Shakespeare's birthplace (his father's store/home) is still standing. I can only imagine the influx of visitors that Stratford will get this year!

    And Wanda's mouse design is so cute, although I freak out if I see a real one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a festive annual occasion Kathy, and used to be held on the actual day but now transferred to the Saturday so will take place tomorrow. Correct 1968 and can't believe that my Mum was younger than I am now! Hats are not so common these days but in those days they were very much part of a smart outfit. Winchester Cathedral is amazing and to be able to be part of a service and get to see a little of the inner workings of the building is a real priviledge. I scream when I see a mouse too, especially when one pops up in a church!

      Delete
  8. These are terrific pictures - thanks for sharing!

    Looking forward to seeing you-know-who tomorrow - wish I could see you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep wish I was in the area but it is just that too far away for a quick visit! Anyway you are lucky to see Jane and also our very special home town. Enjoy! Get her to take you everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment