Saturday 27 August 2016

The Kitchen

For those of you interested in seeing other people's kitchens this is what mine now looks like, minus the table and chairs as they are having a bit of a make over by 'im in the garage.  
Two shelves have replaced a huge glass cabinet that held so much stuff, most of which has now gone to the charity shops.




The kitchen is bright, clean and fresh looking


Unusual for a kitchen there is a huge bay window which lets in light and gives the illusion of space, underneath the table will eventually be placed.



This is what the kitchen used to look like, including another cabinet full of stuff, I haven't managed to find a home for everything that was in it yet!


This kitchen was about 18 years old, what you cannot see in the picture is how badly the frames on the doors caught all the dirt and grease.    However, some  parts of the kitchen have been salvaged and on the far left of the picture you can just about see the end of a set of drawers, these are in the process of being made into a piece of bedroom furniture.   The top cabinet on the left of the picture is now in the garage where it holds all the cleaning equipment.    It is amazing how much can be re-cycled.

The kitchen fitter said, "I hope you don't mind me saying this to you, but I don't ever fit such a modern looking kitchen for someone of your age"  I am hoping it was sort of a compliment!  

17 comments:

  1. I love a white kitchen! I would so love to redo my kitchen to look like yours, but Dave and I have different ideas of what a kitchen should look like, so I think it will stay as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Backhanded compliment, as my mother would say. I really like the look of your new kitchen. Fresh and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very impressed - whatever your age!! Now it's cooler there's no excuse not to use your new kitchen. You'll be able to copy the dishes being cooked on The British Bake Off. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "For someone of your age"? Yikes! Well, it is very modern and very sleek. Maintenance will be a snap, I think. Glad you can recycle, I hate throwing away just because of change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, that trade's remark about age was a bit foolish, wasn't it? - did you tip a bucket of water over him??
    The new kitchen is lovely and fresh, but I am left scratching my head, wondering how on earth you could have managed to replace an entire cabinet with two shelves! - that has raised the bar for decluttering. I'm looking forward to seeing the new furniture in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen the remark was a bit foolish, but as he did such a marvelous job on the kitchen refit decided that violence in any form was probably not a good idea. Yep such a lot of stuff has gone, but it is possible to live without it, I am living proof!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sally, l love your tatting and reading about your Kitchen makeover, are you in England? I always remember the hedgehogs but live in Arizona U.S.A. now.
      I am also slowing 'de cluttering my life, but not my crafts.:-)
      Mary Ann a tat newbie.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mary Ann, yes I do live in England. If you de-clutter other things in your home you will have more room for craft stuff!

      Delete
    4. exactly what l tell hubby, l have always enjoyed embroidery, counted crosstitch, etc, now l appreciate your tips on tatting. Mary Ann

      Delete
  6. Obviously he was referring to how hip and young you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have my permission to come over any time and work on mine this is great love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the style of your new doors, yeah no dirt or grease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sleek look! Light and 'breezy'! I have to ask where you put your microwave, and also - Is that the refrigerator near the window? I'm still chuckling over the fitter's comment! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kathy I have actually given away the microwave to my neighbour as hers had broken down, she needed to sterilize the baby's bottles. I also gave her the bread making machine. To me the most important equipment other than oven, refrigerator and dishwasher is a slow cooker and rice cooker! Yes it is a fridge/freezer by the window and next to it at the top is the boiler and underneath it below the work surface is a dishwasher

      Delete
    2. Very efficient layout! That's a nice size fridge/freezer! Also I like that the appliances are white. I have not caved in to the stainless appliance 'revolution'! (Actually still have my red stove from the '70s! and 'off-white' fridge and dishwasher.) However I have 2 microwave ovens!! Can't do without them! Also pressure-cooker and steamers to get me out of the kitchen as soon as possible :) !

      Delete

Another Heavenly Comment