Thursday 19 January 2017

It is only a Tatting Book

Well you would think that most Tatting Books are not really worth getting excited about especially ones that were written a long time ago.  However, there is one book that seems to get everyone excited and I must admit it was on my list to buy one day if a copy ever became available.  The book is called 'A New Look in Tatting' written by E.A. Nicholls and published in 1959.  And so here is my very own copy.



I won it on e.bay last week, quite unexpectedly, yes that is the truth.  Six days prior to winning it I put a bid on the book, not knowing that Jane had also bid for it to bump the price up.  She knew it was a much sort after in the 'tatting world' and wanted it to go for a fair price.  But then for some reason I completely forgot about it didn't even go back to e.bay to see what was happening.  It was only when my husband shouts up to me from downstairs that mine was the highest bid and I had won something, that I remembered.   The description on e.bay said that there was possibly a page missing, but I am sure there isn't, it is in a very good condition, obviously a little wear and tear but at least the pages are intact.  These are two of the colour plates. 



They are so pretty and almost jump out of the page at you


Oh yes and how much did I pay?   £11.50.  I just can't believe my good fortune and know that the book is in grateful hands. 

11 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed fortunate ! Hope to see lots of your tatting from this book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle and Muskaan it is more of a technique book rather than a pattern book. Techniques that were ahead of its time. It is also a very rare book and people have been known to pay over £100 for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paid £1.00 for my signed copy when I met Elgiva way back in 1976. Wonder how much that would sell for now?

      Delete
  4. You have found a treasure! And at an amazing price too. I remember how excited I was years ago when I finally held this book in my hands - as you say, mostly a book to study and read, but one of the absolute classics. I wish that some of these old books could be reprinted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen so pleased that you appreciate what a treasure the book is and bought at an amazing price, but then I guess not everyone has heard about it, which is a shame. Saying that if more people had heard about it I probably would not have won the book!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that's fantastic, I'm glad it has gone to a good home.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment