Friday 15 March 2019

Button Bow

I am still knitting, but doing other things as well.  When I first received Martha's book 'Button Jar Tatting' I made two of these bows, but can only find one!  Sometime in the future I intend to make it into a choker, there are two large picots at the top on each side to work a chain, you can just about see them.

Then I decided, rather foolishly, to try my hand at macrame.  The reason being that I want to teach people to do it at the next adult craft club.  So ended up buying a job lot of string off e.bay and wondering if I have done a wise thing, now in a right knot about it all, the idea is not going to plan!


Also 'im in the garage has been making more shuttles, only this time to order as people have found out about them. 

11 comments:

  1. Your bow looks lovely. I've played around with macramé but would much rather tat. Good luck with it. It's not particularly difficult, I just prefer tatting.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie I prefer tatting but since having organised this Craft Evening I felt that I should do something relatively quick and easy. However, spending too much time getting myself into knots learning to do macrame myself!

      Delete
  2. By the time you get through the string, you’ll have macrame down pat. I do like the bow, I hope you find the other one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane this is true but do not intend to spend that much time learning macrame! The other bow is purple, it will turn up one day.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sally, good to have you back amongst us again, you've been missed. I've never been inspired to try macrame, good luck though. Good to learn that 'im in the garage is making shuttles again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Anne for your lovely comment. Afraid my inspiration to learn macrame is waning fast!

      Delete
  4. I love your bow! The colors are fabulous! I'm going to have to get this book. I remember when macrame flower pot holders were all the craze and clutch purses. I wanted a purse with either wooden beads or seashells done in a cream color. Never happened that pattern was advanced...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Casandra, really recommend the book, there are some lovely patterns in it. Macrame was fashionable once and like you, I really was tempted to have a go and now again tempted, but somehow it doesn't have the same appeal all these years down the line!

      Delete
  5. I remember learning macrame at school in the fifties! Belts- that's what we made. A sort of braiding stitch, as I remember. Good luck with your craft evening.
    One day I would like to ask 'I'm in the garage for another shuttle. Is it possible to make smaller ones?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bow! It looks so good in that thread! As for macrame, for me it's a scale thing. I prefer thread to cord. I have been tempted to make something using tatted patterns for the front door in cord. What's stumped me is how to add more cord when I run out....

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment