Tuesday 31 March 2015

Tower and Tatting Tea Tuesday

Today marks 126 years since the Eiffel Tower in Paris was opened to the public for the first time. There is a lovely 'google doodle' and you can read all about the Tower's history and see the doodle here.

In England it is a really blustery and dull day but I went outside to take this photo of Jane's heart buttons on some Darjeeling Tea before making a pot of this very special brew. 



And now a little peep at one of the pop-a-bobbin shuttles in the process of being made, it is rather bare without its bobbin but has  a lovely colouration.



It is made from spalted beech. The spalting is purely mild rot working its way through parts of the graining. It does not affect the durability of the wood.    

9 comments:

  1. Interesting word, spalted, for an interesting effect. You already know I'm a fan of the button hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo.... Miss, please, Miss.... I have a 'thing' for spalted beech!!! Well I must have, judging by the number of spalted lace bobbins I have!!! VBG. Gotta get that one when it goes 'live'!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those heart buttons! Seeing shuttles in a variety of woods makes me want to buy more... because I really do "need" more shuttles! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Google-doodle in Australia! - so it must be a special one for Europe today. One of my granddaughters visited the Eiffel Tower last week! - but sadly she was unimpressed by it. Maybe it was too cold for a little Queenslander! That shuttle is going to be beautiful, I can almost feel it in my hand.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely wood. Never heard of it before! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo of the tatting on the tea with the greenery in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always learn something new on your blog :-D "Spalted".... need to look up it's etymology.
    And I hadn’t realised the Google doodle was of the Eiffel Tower till I read it here! They do seem to be having a fun time up there, traipsing away on the cables ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. tatting and shuttle are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment