Thursday 18 June 2015

Waterloo

When you hear the word 'Waterloo' what is the first thing that comes into your mind?  The battle of Waterloo? Waterloo Underground Station in London?  The song Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks?  Or  Waterloo by Abba?  Abba's song talks about Napoleon Bonaparte and his defeat at the battle of Waterloo in 1815 , exactly 200 years ago today.  It uses the battle as a metaphor for a woman who gives in and falls in love with a man - he is her "Waterloo."

The term  'Waterloo' has become synonymous with anything difficult to master or the ultimate challenge!   I am sure we have all come up against our own 'Waterloos' in tatting at some time or another, when a technique, a pattern or whatever has meant that we have agonised for hours trying to get it right!

These are some of my 'Waterloos' that have been abandoned on the battle field around my 'tat area!' Not a pretty sight!


Now I am no good on history and battles, as in the end the reason why there is all this fighting seems to get lost and in all the killing and sadness.  So here is a link that might help if you want to know what happened 200 years ago today Napoleon's Waterloo for Dummies!

There will be a surprise in my next blog post, so be sure not to miss it!
 


6 comments:

  1. 'I was defeated but won the war' go on Abba, so it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old battles are fascinating! - I'm watching a very interesting series about Bannockburn, about which I knew very little. When I think of Waterloo, it's the Hilaire Belloc limerick that comes to mind! Your bits of waterloo tatting are useful for tying onto gifts, that's what I have been doing with mine - there's usually a bit that can be isolated and is good enough for a gift tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm delighted to see that others keep their "waterloos" too! Now I have that lovely ABBA song in my head, guess I'll go find the iPod and listen to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I have several Waterloos lying about... yes, there's one right next to my chair. However, I refuse to be defeated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must run in the family - the history 'bug'!!! I'm afraid I don't 'do' geography either!!! Very interesting to see your 'Waterloos' too. A lot like mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you didn't 'flush them down the loo' ;-))
    I agree with Maureen !

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment