Monday 14 August 2017

Pop-a-bobbin with a pick

So big sister Jane said it might be a good idea to make a wooden shuttle with a pick on. This task was set before 'Im in the Garage and here is the result. However, first shuttle went a little wrong so was turned into an normal pop-a-bobbin shuttle.






I will test the shuttle this week and see how usable it is and then pass it on to Jane for another test.  Also have to say that it took a long time to get the pick to this stage, a plastic shuttle with a pick did help him get the idea of what was required.   

7 comments:

  1. I do not personally use picks, basically because they usually are on post shuttles, but I can see the exquisite workmanship in this and am amazed at the dedication here to accomplish this. I can only imagine the difficulties. I believe this would be the first of its kind - a bobbin shuttle with a pick! I'm all for encouraging tatters to use bobbin shuttles, so this might do the trick for many. Good luck on your testing! This is truly a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. , Thanks Kathy there certainly were some frustrating moments getting this far, testing will decide if it is going to be a success

      Delete
  2. I love shuttles with picks! I look forward to seeing what Jane thinks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having a pick is the main reason I usually use post shuttles (my trusty Clovers go everywhere with me). For some reason I've never been able to avoid splitting the threads when I try to use a hook to make joins. With a pick, the thread almost never splits. This is a fantastic idea. Once im in the garage gets the bugs worked out, I'm sure it will be worth all the time and effort he put into figuring out how to make the shuttle with a good, useable pick on it.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it will be a success, because if it is, I must buy one! It looks good, but as you say, the proof of the pudding is in the tatting..... or words to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! Looking forward to hearing how well it tats :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would miss the little hook it is perfect for small beads. Looks good so far.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment