Tuesday 9 June 2009

Crosses


I always have a supply of tatted crosses, and over the years I must have made hundreds, especially if you include Jane's very small cross! Having a strong connection with the church they are the ideal gifts at baptisms, confirmations and weddings. Strangely though it's not very often that people will come back and say thank you, as these handmade personal gifts are usually given when everyone is involved full on with the occasion or at the celebrations afterwards, but I hope they are kept somewhere safe and admired if not then, in the future. I've also given crosses as gifts to the sick and to friends who need cheering up. My favourite pattern, because it is so easy and I can do it off by heart is from The Complete Book of Tatting by Rebecca Jones (the green and the beige colour which includes beads), the red one also comes from the same book. The purple cross is sightly adapted from Elizabeth C. Zipay and the button cross is by Brigit Phelps.
The display here also includes all the liturgical colours of the year.
Sorry but they all decided to do a "jig" on the scanner!
Confession time - on the last post showing the purses there are five in a set, the smallest blue one fell off the table!

5 comments:

  1. I became interested in tatting because I was given a tatted cross as a thank you gift when I was in high school. It took me 30 years to learn to tat, but I still have that cross as my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been very busy making those crosses! They will make very lovely gifts. That is so thoughtful of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big sis here trying to make a comment. Tried last night but blogger rejected me - booo hoooo. I like the red one best. Very pretty. I remember making a version of the green one about 40 years ago!!! Not sure where I got it from but that idea's been around since the cave men!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane, so I may yet inspire someone else to learn to tat! thanks. Hi TattingChic I feel that giving away handmade items is more meaningful, in fact two out of the five blogged have already been given away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very nice collection of crosses. ...And truly the ultimate tatted gift.

    ReplyDelete

Another Heavenly Comment